Suspect a water leak, How to detect it & what to do…

Written by

Leaks can be extremely wasteful and costly. Regularly checking taps, pipes and fittings around your property could save precious water and precious money!

How can I detect a leak?
To conduct a leak detection test yourself, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Ensure no water is being used in your house (turn off all water appliances, such as washing machines and evaporative air conditioners).
Step 2: Read the black and red numbers on your meter. Record the black numbers from left to right. The black numbers represent kilolitres (1,000 litres) and the red numbers represent litres.
Step 3: If the dial is not visibly moving, take another reading after 15 minutes.
Step 4: If the red numbers have changed, the test confirms there is a leak and further investigation is needed.

How can I repair a leak?
All plumbing work carried out in WA must be completed by a licensed plumber or tradesperson working under the direction of a licensed plumber. You can search online for tradespeople who are endorsed as waterwise and are up-to-date on water saving plumbing practices.
Search for a Waterwise Plumber

Once the repairs have been completed, carry out the leak detection test again to confirm the leak had stopped. It is not unusual to have more than 1 leak.

Can I get a leak allowance?
Water Corporation may offer a leak allowance if you have had undetectable leaks repaired by a licensed plumber.

In the event of a leak in your irrigation system, the system must be brought up to standard (including a manual isolation valve and master solenoid) and verified by a Waterwise Garden Irrigator. 
Search for Waterwise Garden Irrigators

You will need to make sure the licensed plumber or waterwise garden irrigator completes the leak allowance application form, which provides us with details regarding the leak, and that the repairs are carried out. For more information, read Water Corporation Leak Allowance Policy.

Can I use my stop tap to stop a leak?
The (mains) stop tap, which is found at the water meter, is installed to temporarily stop the flow of water when carrying out routine repairs and maintenance.

We understand that you may need to use this tap when an internal leak is present, however it is not a long term solution and the property owner should arrange to have the repairs completed as a matter of priority. 
Whilst we supply water to the property boundary up to the water meter, property owners are responsible for:

  • the cost of any water use registered on the water meter
  • all water used or lost through the internal water service
  • ensuring the internal water service is in good condition.

If you require water supply to the property to be turned off regularly, or for an extended period of time, a manual isolation valve must be installed on the internal pipework. 


Leaking meter – Responsibility

Read our easy guide on what to do if your meter is leaking.
If you’ve found a leak on your property, take action quickly to avoid wastage.
Step 1 You need to determine who is responsible for dealing with the leak. This depends on where the leak is located. 
Look at the water meter on your property. If the leak is located anywhere between the plumbers elbow and your property, then it is your responsibility. 
If the leak is located anywhere between the plumbers elbow and the roadside, it is our responsibility.

Step 2 If the leak is located within your area of responsibility then you need to call a plumber.
For a list of Waterwise plumbers see Search for Waterwise services.
If the meter is leaking at any other point on the meter, please call 13 13 75 or report your fault online so that we can investigate.  
Report a fault online


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *